A delightful combination of flavors and textures – rich and creamy eggplant, sweet and buttery Altaulfo mangoes, smooth and firm Hodo tofu, earthy and wholesome 100% buckwheat soba noodles and chewy Hodo yuba – all held together in a cilantro-lime vinaigrette. All vegan and gluten-free to boot.
12 oz Hodo semi-firm tofu, diced 3/8 inch
1/4 cup EVOO
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 Chinese eggplant, peeled, cut into bite size
6 Tablespoons brown rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Fresno chile, deseeded, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 lime, juice and zest
2 Atoulfo mango, peeled, cut into ¼ inch thick strips
2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
2 cups basil, chiffonade
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
8 oz yuba, sliced thinly
1/2 lb buckwheat noodles
- Toss tofu cubes with EVOO & salt. Roast on parchment 400F 20 mins till golden.
- Cut eggplant at an angle, and fry 375F for 5 minutes till tender. The eggplant should still be brilliant purple. Salt and drain over a rack.
- Cook buckwheat noodles according to package instructions. Drain, chill.
- Cut yuba into thin strips. Chill.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together.
- Toss mango, herbs, cooled tofu, yuba and eggplant with vinaigrette.
Credits: Flavor Explosions