To make good Silken Tofu, you need good soymilk. Hodo Soy carries great soymilk which will make the silken tofu making process a breeze. All you need to do is to pour hot soymilk into a coagulant solution. It’s that easy! We recommend using edible gypsum (calcium sulfate) to get the smoothest silken tofu.
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, select stores carry our Soy Milk: Bi-rite Market, Super Mira, Good Eggs, Good Earth, El Ceritto Natural Grocery, and of course at our farmers market stand in San Francisco Ferry Building on Saturdays. An added bonus if you go to our market stand is that we will throw in a serving of the coagulant with your milk, so you will have the complete kit to make your own fresh silken tofu.
1/2 gallon Hodo soymilk
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons calcium sulfate / edible gypsum
1) Mix coagulant solids with water.
2) Add coagulant solution into bowl large enough to hold the soymilk.
3) Heat milk to reach temperature to 180F
4) Give the coagulant a quick stir. Then pour hot milk into bowl (with coagulant at bottom) evenly, from height of 6 inches, creating an eddy to naturally mix the coagulant, without creating much of a foam head.
5) Do not stir or move the bowl
6) Wait 3 mins for silken tofu to set.